Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dynamo Park to the Houston Galleria?










So Dynamo have begun looking to build a stadium on the city's near West side.

And Channel 13's report can be seen here:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7240711

Right now this looks possibly just too good to be true. I don't trust it somehow. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

A truly fascinating idea and equally as good in many ways. This is not a suburban site, or at least not now. (It was a suburban site when I was growing up in Meyerland in the 1970s, but the only thing that proves is that I am old.) It's very urban and the one advantage is that it would not be competing with Minute Maid Park for parking on nights when both Ds are playing at the same time (Dynamo and the Dis-astros). It's also very close to many ethnic neighborhoods, of both affluence and not. And the freeways make it easily accessible.

However, would it be on or near a Metro rail line? I am not familiar with the Metro rail designs for that area, if indeed there are any. Anyone know?

I still prefer the downtown site, with the buildings rising in the background, but this is an intriguing idea to say the least.

TSU's involvement is part of the city's deal, right? Does this mean the city would be out of the picture? Or TSU? Do we really want the city out of the picture? That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I really, REALLY hope this does not muddy the waters. The Westpark location is good, actually very good, but the downtown location would be better, though right now, I'm at a loss to go into a whole lot of detail on why exactly it would be better. So maybe this is something rare, some actual good news. Pardon me while I cower in fear and do not wholeheartedly believe that.

There is a discussion on the possible Galleria area site at http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19778004&postcoun...

1 comment:

Johnson Clan said...

I like it not being downtown and prefer the Galleria.